Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tip: gradually lighter hair for brunettes

Yeah yeah yeah, the product says its for blonde hairs, but brunettes could use it too. I have been using this for a few months and I can honestly say, it works! There are no harsh chemicals like peroxide and the process will take place over the days and weeks of usage as oppose to mere minutes. This tip isn't for those with gray hairs because there is no coverage. This process is mostly for those who want to go lighter, but not so much AND for those who do not want a fast and dramatic change.

Being of virgin hair (no chemical dyes), I wanted to go lighter but stick to my natural hues. I love my reddish/brown undertones (the color of your hair under the sun is usually your undertone) and want to bring that out more. My hair is black otherwise. I opted to use John Frieda's Go Blonder Lightning shampoo and conditioner to bring out my desired color.

At the beginning of my experiment, I would lather the shampoo into my hair and leave it there for a short while (five minutes). Just like the process of any chemical dyes, this product reacts to heat. The heat from the scalp is best. So if you have long hair like I do, try to put all your hair on top of your head to get that heat too. I washed my hair everyday and by the end of my third (or was it forth?) day of usage, my hair was noticeably lighter. Over the course of weeks, I used this product interchangeably with protein filled shampoos because like any lightener, it takes away color from  your original hair. So by using protein rich shampoos, I was putting back nutrients to preserve my hair.

Now months into this experiment, I only use the shampoo every other week. I have reached the color I love (AND its my natural undertones!). To prevent over lightening, I only put the product on the new growth and let it sit for a few minutes and use another shampoo for the rest of my hair. This method will help reduce split ends from over using the product. Everyone's hair is different so judge your hair base on what you see and feel. Is it thick? Is it course? Is it thin? My hair is thin so the product works more quickly because it has less to deal with.

The John Frieda conditioner works best with this product.

------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment