Saturday, March 19, 2011

Book Recommendation: Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key 
by Tatiana de Rosnay

I only read this during school and finished all 293 pages of it within two school days. That is saying alot about how much free time I have. It also gives insight into how engrossing this novel was for me. I was saddened, angered, hopeful, shamed, relieved and above all else, I was educated. This novel that was based on history. Back in 1942, the French police gathered Jewish families and placed them inside a colosseum of sorts. Th conditions were horrible and many grew ill, some died and those who lived were taken to Poland for the gas chambers. This novel, Sarah's Key, was written in a contemporary way that introduces the past and covers the present day's knowledge- or lack of- what happened during the Holocaust in France.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah's Key was a very good depiction of Paris during the German Occupation. As soon as I started the novel I was drawn in to both of the main characters' hearts and couldnt put it down. I have been to Paris on two vacations and studied French for 3 years in college and had never heard of the Vel d'Hiv slaughter before. It drew my curiosity to research more outside the book too. Open your mind and allow this book to sink in...sad but compelling work.

    ReplyDelete